We were engaged to redevelop a Spanish Colonial Revival-style building first constructed in 1924 and anchoring the changing MacArthur Park neighborhood. Creative Space collaborated with multiple partners on this project, including investor and philanthropist Nicolas Berggruen and Portland-based NBP Capital; local firm Commune Design; and anchor tenants Aardvark Letter Press and the paper supply shop McManus & Morgan. Our responsibilities included development management, executive architecture, and leasing.
Our aim was to invest in the financial and creative longevity of the building. We worked closely with the building’s longtime tenants on ensuring that they would be able to comfortably stay both during and after renovation, and came up with novel financing structures that would result in high future rents but allowed for a start-up feel early on. We brought in the prolific and much-lauded firm Commune Design, whom we relocated from their previous West Hollywood headquarters, and whom we tasked to design both the interior and exterior facades, common areas, and available tenant spaces in addition to their newly completed headquarters within the building. Overall, our emphasis was on maintaining the historic feel and long-time anchor tenants while making significant structural and cosmetic improvements. Completed in Q2 2020, the renovations have brought new life to the property by uncovering its historic architecture after years of neglect, while simultaneously preparing the building for its next chapter as a community of culturally-minded retail, restaurant and office tenants.